Saturday, August 16, 2014

Pasta Salad with Kale & Sweet Potatoes


How is summer almost over already? Even though I don't go back to school until the end of September, I'm still feeling a little sad because I know there are a lot of people who are returning to school this month. That summer vibe is slowly going away and next thing you know, it'll be fall time! Seriously, where has the time gone??
As summer comes to an end, I bring you a simple and colorful pasta salad that I like to put together for those nights when I don't want to bother with using the stove. Being the health fanatic that I sometimes am, I just want to mention that there's no added sugar or highly processed ingredients in this recipe. I think this is also great way to get all types of nutrients in one plate as experts suggest to include a wide variety of different colored foods in our diets.

Here's a very casual recipe - feel free to adjust it to your liking :)

Makes 3 servings

Ingredients: 
1 cup Penne pasta 
Handful of kale 
2 medium-sized sweet potatoes/yams
1/2 cup cherry Tomatoes
Vinegar or black pepper 

Instructions:
I started with the sweet potatoes because they take the longest to cook.
After preheating the oven to 400 degrees F., I washed the sweet potatoes under cold water, then stabbed them a couple of times with a fork and wrapped them loosely in foil. They were in the oven for about 50 minutes when the insides turned soft when poked with a knife.
For the kale, I bought washed, packaged ones from the store. In a pan set on high heat, I waited for the olive oil to warm up until I tossed in the kale. I cooked it for 10 minutes when the leaves shriveled up.
After cutting the sweet potatoes in cubes, I tossed it with the cooked pasta and kale. I sprinkled some black pepper or you could use vinegar to add more flavor. I let it cool and stored it in an airtight container in the fridge. They can be served right out of the fridge!

Let me know if you're going to give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment