Friday, November 1, 2013

Braces update #1: Eating burgers with a knife and fork...

I had no idea what to expect when I went in to the orthopedic's office for my first re-tightening of my braces. In the past, my friends have made pained expressions when talking about everything that braces entailed, but I didn’t grasp what they really meant until today. Let’s just say that I walked in feeling rested and cheery and by the time I was done, I was drained.

The process took about thirty minutes (it felt so much longer) as the orthodontist replaced the thin wires with thicker ones. Because she applied a lot of pressure when she was tightening the wires, my gums were very tender and sore. I gotta say, going in for my appointment today made the last visit seem like it was nothing.

As for the foods, it's just not the same. I guess it's going to take some time for me to get used to having braces. In the mean time, I'm seriously considering on eating sandwiches and burgers with a knife and fork. I try to look on the bright side, which is the fact that I’ve been eating a lot healthier and cleaner. With that said, an updated version of my personal go-to foods list from a previous post is below.

Breakfast
Nutri-Grain cereal bars
Oatmeal
Greek or nonfat yogurt
Pancakes
Muffins
Scrambled eggs

Snack
Tapioca pudding
String cheese
Pirate’s Booty (puffed rice and corn)

Lunch
PB&J sandwich
Chow-mein
Quesadillas
Mac n’ Cheese
Tofu

Fruits
Bananas
Oranges
Grapes

Dinner
Pasta
Hard boiled eggs
Baked salmon
Mashed potatoes

Dessert
Cheesecake
Lemon bars

No comments:

Post a Comment